Friday, June 25, 2010

June 25, 2010


The World Cup is here! The new trainees arrived June 4th! I completed my 1st business class! 16 girls from the North West Province were awarded scholarships from A2Empowerment! Camp Batibo was a success! As you can tell a lot of positive things have happened since I last wrote…
It does seem that all African teams have been getting their butts kicked in the World Cup, especially Cameroon. What I have enjoyed watching the most is that even when Cameroon or the US is not playing, Cameroonian’s are still glued to the television watching different matches. Having the World Cup in Africa has brought a since of pride to African’s that I believe is long overdue. It is just a pity that then African teams aren’t doing that well. Despite this, there is still a sense of togetherness and camaraderie amongst the Cameroonian’s as they watch the games. Without a doubt soccer is a global sport and a great way to integrate with your community. A good many volunteers headed down to South Africa to catch some games and I have to admit I am quite jealous. The last I heard the Peace Corps Country Director of South Africa was expecting a total of 116 volunteers from other Peace Corps countries. He/she definitely will have her hands full…
Renee and I greeted the new trainees in Yaoundé Friday, June 4th and then stayed with them until they left for the training site on Tuesday. The group has 43 trainees who, after completing training, will be posted different places around the country. There are five education and two small enterprise development volunteers being posted in the North West and it will be interesting to see how our regions dynamics change when they get here. I am also helping with training throughout the summer. I am teaching a total of nine sessions which include Marketing, Leadership, Working with Community Groups, NGO’s, Accounting and a few others. It feels very weird to be on this side of training but at the same time it is really gratifying.
My first business class is officially over and I am already planning when to begin the next. Ma Patience, Ma Theresia and Ma Bri will come to my house in July to receive their certificates, take some pictures, and take refreshments with me. It really has been a pleasure getting to know them over these past couple of months. They are all extremely hard working, bright women who only want to better their lives and took the time every week to come listen to me. I just hope they actually got something out of it.
Just last week I found out that all of our hard work paid off and the North West girls were receiving 16 scholarships from A2Empowerment, three of which will remain in Bali. We turned in 43 applications from nine different villages. It is a great project and extremely gratifying knowing that 16 girls are getting to continue their education because of the volunteers and people in the states that recognize the importance of education in developing countries.
The North West volunteers came together the week of June 14-18 to put on a summer camp for an orphanage in Batibo. The week turned out extremely successful and definitely made my heart a little warmer. Tim, Carl and Austin taught some farming and environment sessions; Gabe taught the older students basic computer skills, Stefanie taught Health and HIV/AIDS awareness; Carl taught English; and we all partook in playing sports (which mainly consisted of kickball) and arts & crafts. It was a good week but the most important thing was that the kids got to spend time with us and us with them.
During this time my Nana had her 90th birthday and all of my family gathered to celebrate with her at my parent’s house in Greer. I was lucky enough to get to speak with almost everyone for a minute or two on Skype. During a conversation with my cousin Ginny, she asked me if I thought I was taking in all of my experiences or if I thought it would affect me more when I got home. To tell the truth, I am not entirely sure. But after completing a year in a third world country, I know that I will never take for granted my family, my health and for that matter my wealth (which is very small in comparison to a lot of US citizen’s but is huge when compared with people living in poverty). I realize that I still like the finer things in life and that I will probably always want them but that I can live without them. I also know deep down that waking up every morning with a purpose is much more important than going to a job that I hate so that I can buy the next new thing. I without a doubt think that this experience will continue to affect me during the next year and throughout my life. So Ginny, I guess it’s best to say that my eyes have been opened and some has registered but I believe that there are still many more layers of my rose-tinted glasses to be removed (don’t worry this hasn’t made me a pessimist but I am definitely more of a realist).

1 comment: